Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Rebuttals

.
Last night I started organizing the response stuff for what I will simply call unorthodox cases. You might call them krappy kritiks, but not me. I am genteel. I don't look at critical theory and say, oh look, a blight on the intellectual landscape, or, gosharooni, big new words to hide little old ideas. Oh no, not me. I am civilized. And for anyone in or going to college, facing professors who dish out that (I won't call it nonsense, so how about this:) material, I feel your pain. Needless to say, we can't preempt everything, but if we have a sense of what may come from people whose goal is not to engage in rational dialogue but to win rounds through obfuscation, we'll be better off than if we don't.

Of course, the crux of the strike against modern theory was in Caveman. Also in P: A Very Short Introduction. And that crux is its sterility. But you don't need me to tell you that—

Okay, I'll stop whining.

Heard from the Nostrumite, by the way, and found out why we haven't heard from him in a while. He and Odelie are on a missionary trip. All right, Odelie's on a missionary trip, and the Mite is on the expense account. Whatever. Thank God she's not a preacher of one of your poorer religions. Anyhow, they're working their way through heathen Canada, apparently. To be honest, I was not aware that this was one of your heathen hotbeds, but I'm just going by what the Mite told me. Those Canadians can be pretty hostile to proselytizers, he says, and more than one Episcopalian has found himself being boiled in one of those big pots with the carrots and onions floating around him while the local frostbacks twirl the bones in their noses. "The worst of them are in the Baby Seal Clubbing Clubs," he reports. "Most of them are either Lutherans or Baptists, with maybe the odd Zoroastrian riling up the fringe element." Beware of fringe element Canadians, I always say. The lad reports that he has been unable to even think about TWHS while he's up there, but he expects to be reporting from the front around when school starts up again. "Besides," he says, "who cares about debate in the middle of August, aside from the O'C?"

Personally, I fear that the Mite's removal of self from the front does not bode well for next year's debate season at TW. Hell, even I'm up to my eyeballs (all right, I'm up to my liver at best, but I'm up to something) in debate in the middle of August. If nothing else, I have to keep up with Burgers' blog. I can't wait till he gets back to school. It's time for him to stop surfing the internet. Maybe he can start going to banjo festivals with his father; jump into the old Deliverance wagon and head out to where the grass is blue and the necks are red... Hee-haw!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't worry -- school ain't slowing me down.

What? Banjo festivals?