Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pack 'em up, we're going to balmy Connecticut

There’s a Facebook page for TVFT? Who knew? I just got an email from Zuckerberg, or one of his servers, about the TVFT page, telling me that no one likes it, no one is talking about it and it has no weekly total reach.

I’ve got to put an end to those emails.

For reasons that elude me, I decided I should hook up an extra little HDTV that’s been hanging around the chez to my MacBook. I mean, I have an extra monitor at work, which comes in handy when I’m setting pages and need to see things like ,, instead of , although I never use it for anything else. I think the challenge that drew me at home was finding the right cable to the mini-whatever built into the Mac. Easy enough, as it turned out. So I tried it a couple of days, looking at a version of tabroom.com as big as the Ritz. I have to admit, it didn’t look much different from the 13-inch version except, of course, that it was bigger. I watched some YouTube videos, which were a mixed bag, some being of too poor quality to blow up that much, others looking quite good, but as I’ve said before, I’m not one to sit at my computer watching movies when there’s a comfy chair ten feet away and a TV screen that works just fine. I imagine this will come in handy when I’m editing photos, though. We’ll see. In any case, I’ve got it when I want it. Now all I have to do is want it.

I'm going to put off OS6 for a little while; I don't want to head to New Haven with too much new untested technology. Meanwhile, when I loaded Mountain Lion on the chez Mac (which is not the same as Mac and chez) I decided to start using the Mail program, since it now worked with non-POP Yahoo. Well, after a few weeks I'm going back to my plain old Yahoo mail again. I didn't see any great advantage in having another program open, and I've never been that big a fan of threading, so there you are. Simplicity is my middle name.

On the Sailor front, we met last night instead of Tuesday because of the holidays. No new Sailor debaters, and a perplexing inability of the new Speecho-Americans to understand that when I said to send me an email what it meant was that they needed to send me an email. That's a real poser for some people, I guess. They couldn't for the life of them find the information on the Yahoo page that they didn't have access to because, not knowing who they were, I hadn't given them the rights to see it. How do you explain this to people who seem inherently incapable of understanding it? Beats me. I dearly love Speech events and Speecho-Americans, but I seriously wonder if they are, as a species, living in a different dimension.

Anyhow, for the debaters we started at the beginning once again. I do love rights and the social contract. And unless you know this stuff, you can't really move on to more complicated concepts. And given that the Modest Novice topic and October Pfffft both seriously require this initial understanding, it's time well spent. Of course, when I hear myself utter the words legal positivism I know it's time to change the subject...

And off to the Pups tomorrow. MJP opened fine and everyone seemed to get in ok. I haven't looked to see if my imploring brought in some of the holdouts. I hope so, but then again, Rome wasn't built in a dies.

No comments: