Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Abundant PF resources? Na'ah.

I expect that eventually I will eschew Pffft resources and draw on my own materials, but let’s face it, this is my first full year as a PF coach, and I’ll take what I can get. There isn’t much.

There was a nice introductory piece at NDCA: September Public Forum Topic Analysis: Renew the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. Made me glad I sent them my thirty bucks or whatever it was. We worked through it at the chez last night, and it provided good food for thought. I thought that the NFL was doing resolution analyses (I remember the top of Kevin Tidd’s head in a couple of videos last year), but I couldn’t find anything there reagrding the Sept topic. Maybe I just missed it. In any case, if they haven’t done it by now (the topic’s been out since 8/15), there’s not much point in it going forward. I recall when they were doing LD papers they always came out about halfway into the topic, at which point everyone was always into the next topic. Plus ca changerooni…

For the Sailors, with exactly one tournament on a topic, the return on prep investment in September is fairly slight. I’m looking forward to October, where they could debate literally every weekend, if they were so inclined, or at least one version or another of the 1.5 of them. Meh says she now has a job but isn’t sure when, and Zip hasn’t come down from the summer mountain yet to tell us his plans, so with exactly one stalwart, the seas are choppy at best. Tonight, as I think I already pointed out, I’ll visit with the Speecho-Americans to talk about, among other things, recruitment. We need warm bodies. Makes me wish we had a bigger school.

I feel curiously out of the loop vis-à-vis the Pups this year. I’m not involved in the waitlist or the judge sales, so mostly I just look at it once in a while and ruminate. The waitlists in LD are coming down slowly but surely, but I still think we’re going to play it close to capacity. Oh, well. I’ll feel in it once it gets started…

And on the blogging front, I seem to be settling into a pattern of putting things in pot pourri entries more often than not, and saving individual entries for those moments—rare—when not only do I have something to say, but it is something worth saying. We’ll see how long that keeps up. Being busy with the new season, and busier than usual at the DJ, means fewer empty hours to fill writing my usual nonsense high-level cultural analysis.

No comments: