Thursday, September 27, 2012

Debate: This and that

Princeton is beginning to simmer. There's a template up on tabroom, copied from last year, and the Tiggers are playing with it and drafting an invite. Looking to a 10/15 opening. Last year we opened registration in the middle of Big Bronx, to the annoyance of many and sundry. This year we successfully got O'C to move his little tournament away from our registration date. The noive of these people!

I'll definitely be tabbing Monticello. As I've said before, I think this is a great opportunity for younger debaters to get some rounds in at an invitational without having their heads handed to them. And the judge food is excellent, although I don't guarantee that we will once again see the Official Meatloaf of the MHL. I'm hoping, though.

The MHLW registration has picked up as we head into the event. Even I have a couple of people, a Pfffter and a Plebe LDer. I think Jake is coming along just so that my novice won't have to suffer through driving down with me solo and having to listen to the Baroque Hoedown over and over all by herself.

On the technical brilliance front, I turned on my television Monday to discover what I had suspected a week earlier, that I wasn't getting reception, or more to the point, getting only some channels. I had only sort of noticed it earlier when I was flipping around trying to watch a DVD; it's not like I really watch TV that's actually on. I dread getting old (okay, older). In the Aged P's nursing home, TVs are everywhere and always on, and everyone seems to be following every precious word, especially when it's on Fox News. For that matter, will I start watching Fox News when I switch to Depends? Oy. Anyhow, when we dragged in the cable guy to fix our reception problem, it turned out that someone, presumably Tik (pronounced teek) had undone something behind the television. He's the only one who ever goes back there on a regular basis, after all. So I ended up fixing the problem myself. As I was doing this, I managed to pull out three cables that seemed to be connected to each other, and nothing else. After I did so, everything was working fine. If you need me to set up your TV, just let me know.


No comments: