Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mr. Saturday

So this kid shows up last night, a sophomore, hot to trot as a debater. Only one problem: he's not available on Saturdays. Every Saturday. Until the beginning of June. For the next three years. He does, however, enjoy Dvorak. (Speaking of which, I had thought old Tony had written the New World symphony for the 1893 expo, but it turns out that it premiered after the White City had shut down. Part of the piece did become the BIE anthem, however. You unlearn something every day.)

I told Mr. Saturday, after we had established that his schedule was not congenial to forensics within a radius of five hundred miles, that he was free to vacate the premises, but he insisted on hanging around, primarily because he didn't believe us about the whole Saturday thing. I hate losing a live one: you know how some people just look like debaters? Anyhow, we finally shooed him away. If you want to catch up with him, he'll be receiving at home starting sometime in 2015.

(Curiously enough, he was a legacy, but when he told me his sister's name, it rang not a single bell. She must also have been similarly unavailable on Saturdays.)

On the other hand, good old OK turned up again. I'd love to get him seriously back into the fold, but he might have just showed up because all his friends are Jewish and were otherwise engaged. Speaking of which, my team is either more Christian than I thought, or else they're all lapsed Jews. The only one who didn't show up just assumed there was no meeting. Go figure.

The MHL workshop is shaping up well. HarrisonDD is now onboard for the demo rounds and working with JVers. I hope the JVers show up in decent numbers; this is an opportunity not to be missed. At the moment, this is our only really light division; policy, novice LD and PF are booming. I'm looking forward to it, of course. It's a fun day. What we may definitely not have is parents. Too bad, but you can't have everything. I'll at least have one plebe along with me, and maybe a second plus Jake Who Doesn't Have a Nickname. Won't know till closer on.

Meanwhile, I'm still at death's door with this ridiculous cold. I trust I will be back in the pink by the weekend. Time will tell.

No comments: