Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Waiting for Quark

Every now and then you do something Quark doesn't like, and the program just stares at you like a novice hearing that he has to read not one but two philosophy books before Christmas. And when you try to save changes on a book you're working on, you inevitably see the rolling beachball of death spinning in front of you. What a program! Oh well, at least it gives me an opportunity to log on here.

States having come and gone, I heard from Bro John, but I'm not quite sure where things stand. I mean, I've brought up a lot of issues, but nothing has changed yet that I'm aware of. I do hope that he continues working toward change. Charlie Sloat is our regional director these days. I probably won't see Charlie again till the CFL inaugural meeting in September, and by that time there should be some indication of what's happening with the NYSFL. I'm still hopeful. States is very meaningful for those who go, but the rules being what they are, a lot of people just don't go. Adjust the rules, and things might be different. As I said to BJ, I've pretty much aired the grievances, so I'm on record with my issues. We'll just have to see what happens. They're perfectly entitled to think I'm a crackpot and go their merry way; they wouldn't be the first. They won't be the last.

Speaking of crackpottage, I completed the raw recording of Business last night, and now all I have to do is edit it down. I'm still learning my way around Audacity. I do tend to run a program first and then figure out how to work it later; I will RTFM eventually, but I don't want it to think I really need it, if you know what I mean. It spoils a program when it thinks you're sneaking a peak at the manual. One thing about Audacity is that, apprently unlike GarageBand, you can record longer than half an hour without any work-arounds. Which is good, because Business is clocking in at about 45 minutes, which is lecture length where I come from, so I'm pleased with that. I'm also continuing my exploration of S&S, but I'm at the point now where the Old Baudleroo is writing about movies, demonstrating his position as possibly the worst film critic ever to munch le mais au popped. He never really says anything, he just always caroms off ideas as if he's said something, and he dares you to say otherwise. He's certainly bought into McLuhan, I'll say that, and I may need to drag old Marshall into my lecture (much like Woody Allen dragging him in in Annie Hall). I may also have to toss in the semiotics stuff the OB takes for granted, at least if anyone is going to make any sense of this material. I'll be glad to move on from the OB into something a little more coherent, or put another way, something a little less French. In aid of all of this I've been etching out a little web page for the MenickCasts, and as soon as there's something to put on it, I'll roll it out. As I think I've hinted, there will be a surprise there too. I think you'll like it. (Except for you, you spalpeen, and you know who your are, but then again, I can't imagine why you're reading this so late in the season. What ideas are you expecting to steal for your cases now, pray tell? Shouldn't you be off trolling MySpace?)

Back to Quark...

No comments: