Tuesday, April 04, 2006

NFL, Seagrams, Parrish Island, Bo Diddley, and Were You Not to Ko-Ko Plighted

So far I haven't heard anything from NFL that I screwed up too much, except that I listed 22 people in attendance in one congress house and 2 in the other congress house. So much for typing in results; the congress pdf was the only one I didn't scrawl in my usual chicken scratch. Meanwhile I've put together the ad for the tournament program, using good old Rocket Thrower as the image. I mean, it is vaguely New Yorkish, even if it is located in Flushing. The Fairs just say New York to me, not just New York City. You would prefer the Albany Egg? Maybe next year. (Speaking of architecture, we spent Saturday moseying around the city staring at things like the Seagrams building and Lever across the street. So much more illuminating than, say, an MHL...)

I've given up on the idea of doing a live lecture on S&S, due to lack of interest, but I'm beginning to conceive of a series of MenickCasts on that and a bunch of other things. Since I don't hold my nose over pomo cases per se, but over incomprehensible cases of any stripe, it might be fun to present some deep-tier material for those who are interested, without taking time away from basic training. I mean, there's boot camp and then there's OCS. Or POMO-CS, I guess. Whatever. It's still just a glimmer, but it is in the hopper.

Emily claims to know where the bodies are buried, or at least where the elusive travel forms are buried, and I've sent Robert the Engineer on the hunt. It would be nice to send people to Albany with the right form. Plato would appreciate that, at least.

Discussion has begun on the naming of cats. Or more specifically, the naming of the little trooper. Unfortunately the discussion quickly veered into what role Bruce Lee played on television, and I knew it was Kato (although originally I was thinking Koto, but never Cato or Koko), but I also figured it was either Green Arrow or Green Lantern. I was quite the Green Lantern fan in my youth; that whole ring thing worked for me, but I certainly couldn't remember Bruce Lee chauffeuring Green Lantern around. I mean, what would be the point of driving a guy who could fly? And Green Arrow? Well, he always was a bargain-basement hero, and he certainly never had a TV show, plus I vaguely remembered him having some other young lad sidekick (although Robin Quivers or Bo Diddley would, homophonically in the latter case, be perfect). Anyhow, Kt found it the second she got to IMDB (we need to have IMDB chips implanted in our brains to save wear and tear on our typing fingers). So I was half right, and at least I got the Kato part right. So, should we call the little trooper Kato? Liz is pushing Rajah for some reason, but he's Siamese and they never had any rajahs so I don't get it. Pip, meanwhile, is unusually active these days, running around like crazy, apparently getting in shape for what will be, to him, the deluge. April 22. Mark your calendars. The Little Trooper will be making his triumphant march into Cortlandt.

No comments: