Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I spoke too soon

Well, Ripon did find a mistake. A big one, where we added the numbers wrong, and the result is a flip-flop of qualifier and alternate. If that doesn't make you feel crappy, nothing will, although my feelings won't come close to the poor guy who's gotten bumped off. All I can do is put in tighter controls for next year (I'll computerize the final round process), if they don't run me out of the chairmanship on a rail.

Jeesh.

This really is a season of forensic disappointments. JWP has just sent out a broadcast message announcing that he wouldn't be selling tee shirts this year at TOC unless there was a sudden vocal outpouring of demand. For those who have never been to TOCs, most of the tournament is devoted to tee shirt sales. In fact, there used to be an assembly on Sunday just to sell these wonderful shirts. I'll miss that one, let me tell you. I'll miss being hounded by shirt salesmen all weekend, for that matter, everywhere from picking up your ballots (like I'll do much of that) to hiding in the ladies room when you spot JWP coming around the corner with shopping bags overflowing in each hand. Tee shirt sales are always a bum deal, as JWP's message attests, although fundraising mavens are always suggesting them. But if people won't even buy a tee shirt to commemorate their TOC accomplishments, it's hard to imagine them buying one to honor showing up at, say, the Unseasonbly Warm CFL. I feel bad for JWP, though. He also used to sell CDs of his latest hip hop faves and heavy metal hits, but the digitalization of music has no doubt pulled the rug out from under him on that too. TOCs is probably going to go broke as a result.

Naaaah.

I did manage to revise BizMan last night, if you've been following the progress of same, and I'm ready to attack the recording, probably tomorrow, since tonight is the final official chez (although there will probably be the odd set-to over the Nats Pffft topic and the NFA RR). I also need to clean the damned place up: there's NFL debris everywhere, and it's time to pack it up till next March (or for the next chairman). For that matter, I've cleared the decks for S&S, which I'll start prepping up on this week. The lecture should come with a free trip to Disney World, but that probably won't happen. I am beginning to plan a real WDW trip, however, for next year. My big hope is beating O'C at the princess trivia contest. I mean, if you don't establish a goal, what's the point in going?

No comments: