Friday, April 14, 2006

Hell is error messages from Safari

I can't update my Netflix queue. I can't explain to Bietz why the day I IM is the day I give up. I'm even not sure if I'll be able to save this entry. Tough times at office, eh? And you call this a "good" Friday?

Project X, to give it a name, continues apace. I have referred, I think, to some work I'm doing on the podcast front that I'm not ready to talk about yet, but at least I'm now ready to identify it. I'm committed to it. (There's a little message down below as I type this that we can't connect to the blog server. Great.) I think that last night I identified the issue with muddy sound in recordings. The first track is clear as a bell. Additional tracks in the same file sound like froggy plucking his magic twanger. So, do one track per file and cut and paste tracks together to make a final. I can live with that. More testing today to make sure.

What I'd like to do is come up with some music. I was listening to the radio this morning and these people seemed to have background and intro music for everything. The weather? Dah dah dah DING! The news? Dah dah dah, dah dah dah. The traffic? La la, la la. I could write something myself and record in on the old Yamaha; I mean, I have this extraordinarily expensive electric pie-annie in the living room that has a USB just waiting to be plugged in. I even bought Little E partially on the premise that I'd use GarageBand for just that. But that would mean actually composing some music, which I haven't done in about 20 years, mostly because it's too much work. Not that I shy away from work, but there is the old so-many-hours-in-the-day thing to worry about. Project X could definitely use some theme music, though. I'll think about it.

I did clean up the muddy sound of the business lecture last night, and I'm ready to upload it as final. I'll probably do Caveman as a series, too, since it's so crucial to the understanding of S&S. I'm beginning to think that I may become the pomo center of the podcasting universe, which is just too scary for words, especially if you believe in postmodernism. (I understand that Barrie was going to use just that in Peter Pan when Tinkerbell is dying -- i.e., "Clap if you believe in postmodernism" -- but preview audiences just sat there on their hands, and he figured the fairy business was a better idea altogether.)

I haven't gone back to YouKnowWhereDotCom since my second post, but I was honestly pleased that the level of discourse was high and meaningful, for the most part people explaining themselves with courtesy and trying to understand each other. I'll probably drop by tomorrow, at which point things will have settled down. There is a big issue here. LDEP is no doubt going to do something, to try to affect some change. They represent certain interests. WTF represents other interests, to wit, the national circuit (which should not be construed as all debaters, but just a certain subset of debaters). Someone has posited casually that this was a conflict of regional versus national debate, which is interesting but which I don't think quite pins it down. The point is, if actions are going to be taken that are intended to be beneficial for the activity, they bloody well better BE beneficial, and the discourse could help assure that. Or make it impossible. I'm hoping for the former.

Anyhow, I'm about to save. If you're reading this, it worked. If you're not reading this, why am I typing it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

menick composes music too? what doesnt he do?

Jim Menick said...

Actually, I compose lousy music, which is hardly an accomplishment. But it keeps me off the streets.

Anonymous said...

I dunno....what doesnt he do?