Monday, April 17, 2006

Three weeks later

It's hard to believe that it's been a mere three weeks since my last tournament. It feels like a hundred years. It takes a while to decide what to do with oneself when the season ends. Some folks think that the season should be much shorter, and they're probably right. Why sell your soul to debate? Does it really pay back all that much?

I kept away from most things forensic over the weekend, what with golf and Easter and poker. Project X is nearing launch, however; with luck, it will go out this Wednesday. I'm also almost ready to get S&S down; one amusing thing about people running modern theorists is that they presumably expect us to believe that they've read this stuff. Get real! If you've actually read all of S&S, prove it. Of all of any of a Derrida. Or a Lyotard. At best you've dived in and allowed this stuff to wash over you, but that's about it. Could there be a relationship between the conflicting academic interpretations of the material and the material's obtuseness? Ya think?

I gave up and got a full-fledged FTP program, by the way. I know I already sang the widget praises and warbled the Apple Paean and everything, but full-fledged does so much more so easily, I couldn't resist. If you need to manage a website, using the host's tools is a mug's game, I guess. Live and learn. Now I'm sorting through XML, so that I can allow RSS, but trying to do this stuff by guess and by golly is another mug's game. With luck, it'll eventually do what I want it to do, but not quite yet...

There's definitely a chez tomorrow night, prepping for the NFARR (which looks like the name of a villain in a Disney film). They are definitely running the CatNats topic, which is no doubt good for some people, much of a muchness for everyone else (who isn't going to CatNats). Not that Catholic topics are all that great -- they're usually worded by people who have heard of LD but never encountered it in the wild -- but it's there, and there you are.

And finally, we're picking up the LIttle Trooper on Saturday. Pip is enjoying his last few days of solitude, which I'm sure some day he'll look back on fondly as the Golden Age.

No comments: