Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Art/books: Edward Gorey

Edward Gorey used to haunt the upper west side of Manhattan, and you would often see him sitting in a restaurant, looking like, well, Edward Gorey. He'd wear a big old coat and have a grim expression just like the one in the picture.

If you're unfamiliar with Gorey, maybe actually you're not. His artwork famously opens the PBS "Mystery" show, for one thing. And he did an awful lot of illustration work in his day; Maria Popova has a nice display at Edward Gorey Illustrates Little Red Riding Hood and Other Classic Children’s Stories if you want a refresher. Personally, I am eternally grateful to him for introducing the word chthonic into my everyday vocabulary. I am just waiting for a word game where I can use it to absolutely destroy my opponent. (The ch is silent, by the way, if you wish to casually toss this one off at your next cocktail party.)

I bring all this up because I came across the video below via Failblog, of all places. This is no fail, people. The Gashlycrumb Tinies didn't need any animation, but I have to admit, the animation is fun. Cute? Perhaps not. But chthonic? Absolutely.



No comments: