Saturday, August 04, 2012

Mountain Lion. Hmmmph.

There are what we might call birthing pains switching over to Mountain Lion. So far they have fallen more into the curiosity category than the I want to slash my wrists category.

First of all, one of the big reasons I did it was to get all clouded up. I turned on everything and, well, nothing happened. Which was sort of disappointing, having that little notification icon on the top right over there with no notifications to keep it happy. Then, all of sudden, it looks as if I'm being notified of every email I've ever received. I've never actually used the Mac mail client, primarily because in the past, because my Yahoo mail isn't a POP account, for which I refused to pay the two dollars, it wasn't supposed to work. So much for that.

Sigh. It will sort itself out, I'm sure. I guess it behooves me to keep the Mail app in the dock...

(The local theater just wished me a Merry Christmas!)

As for programs, the one I was worried about most was VMWare Fusion, through which I run Windows and TRPC. At first blush, it told me it wouldn't work, even though I had already researched that it would. Turns out that Mt Lion sees an old version somewhere in the guts and doesn't recognize the new version. No big deal. I downloaded the new version again (VMWare remembered me—never underestimate the value of registering software) and before long I was back in business.

I've declined the idea of clouding my photos. It would require a new version of iPhoto and, honestly, I don't want my recent photos like that. I want all my photos on my iPad and Mac, and that's easy enough to do manually, especially since I use my SLR as often as not, and am not dependent on the iPhone as my main camera.

The biggest issue, having nothing to do with Apple, is that Amazon, which had told me I was grandfathered in to having all my music on their cloud for free because I was such a wonderful customer, just buried grandpa. However, for twenty-five smackers a year I can keep their cloud. Then again, also for twenty-five smackers a year I can use iTunes and their cloud. When you've sold your soul to both Apple and Amazon, this is a tough choice, but I think I'm going to go with Apple.

Life is sooooo tough.

No comments: