Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Nothing like an OS upgrade to get your mind computing

Come to think of it, I also back up iTunes to Little Elvis, which I use as the chez jukebox. So the safety argument falls. Unless the chez burns down…

My latest wonder is if I should get Word for the Mac. I use Pages at home, which is perfectly adequate, but I was doing some writing last night and realized that I do so much in Word at the DJ that, while Pages is okay, it’s mildly annoying to have multiple programs doing the same thing. I could work in the version of Word on XP on my virtual PC, but I could also etch my writing onto stone tablets. I think I’m making the argument in favor of it even as I type.

Meanwhile, I’ve been poking around things since the Mt Lion update. It turns out that if you want Reminders to work across all your devices via the cloud, you have to turn on all the parts (i.e., Google and Yahoo) that you don’t want to be a part of it. Then the part you do want works fine. It makes you remember why you love computers!

One sure sign of the coming season is my updating my various web pages. I’m dumping some of the stuff, perking up some of the other stuff. There are some gaps I’ve discovered in the documentation that I’ll try to fill over the year, e.g., a beginner’s guide to PF. I’ve updated the rules of the team to include things like my phone number that I’ve now had for two years. I’ve managed to promote my favorite piece of art, O’C in the Pipe, to an index page. At the bottom, nothing much has changed, but at least it looks a little better. More 2007 than 1997. The incoming novices will be absotively dazzled.

Next up, when all this housekeeping is done, will be to update Bump. [Sigh.] This year it’s back to Friday and Saturday, which means there’s lots of rewriting, and also the problems of damage at the grammar school need to be addressed. It turns out that Cousin Joe, AKA Joe Gazzola, is getting married that day. This means that O’C will be wondering off permanently at some point from his post running novice tab. I’m not going to tell Kaz. Let’s see if she can tell the difference on her own.

No comments: