Friday, August 03, 2012

Tony Bennett is 86 Years Old Today

Not long ago we went to the Museum of the Moving Image, which is way the hell out in No Man's Land, AKA Astoria. Walking back to the subway, we walked past The Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, a very successful high school founded by Tony Bennett in honor of the other great crooner of the 20th Century. Cool or what?

And Bennett still survives. His most recent new album was Duets II from last year. I'm partial to the the earlier Duets album from 2006, which is where all these videos come from. What can I say? Try them out for size.

First, there’s Bennett and k.d. lang singing and talking about Because of You. If you thought lang was, I don’t know, a country singer, this will be a revalation. (I think she has one of the best voices out there these days. She and Bennett recorded an entire album, “A Wonderful World,” in 2002, which seems to be playing in my house every time I turn around. If you had it in your house, you’d be playing it too.)



Next, this clip looks like something from a ’60s variety show until Diana Krall shows up to join Bennett in The Best is Yet to Come.



And meanwhile, if you thought k.d. lang was a country singer, maybe you thought that guy Bono was some sort of rocker? Try him out on I Wanna Be Around.



Tony Bennett is 86 years old? Happy Birthday, guy. And thanks.

No comments: