Thursday, August 16, 2012

The secret: good cheddar in the bechamel

Put this in your pipe and smoke it: the Panivore liked my macaroni and cheese. I can finally quit forensics. My work here is done.

We had a fine old time at the chez last night. My Pfffters are already thinking about the topic, and we chatted about it with the assembled brain trust of alums, and then we went on to due process. If you ask me, extradition is in fact part of due process. We need to provide legal support to our request to our international friends for the release of someone wanted for a crime from their sovereign soil into our custody. Others in the room saw it differently, but then again, no one had researched nothing. It's what happens after extradition that would matter. Of course, why this was limited to terrorists who were no longer on our soil was also beyond me. My mind went to people like Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman. Wasn't he arrested, tried and convicted in the normal fashion? Should it have been some other way? Of course, nowadays LD looks not for general moral or ethical guidelines, but some damned example where whatever the debater wants to run works. No wonder I'm a Pfffter in training.

Anyhow, it was a fun evening, as expected, catching up with everyone. And I liked having the sophomores there to represent the future alums with whom I'll be catching up four or five years from now. Everybody knows everybody, pretty much, which is nice. Small school. Small town. I wore my Pirates of the Caribbean Hawaiian shirt. I couldn't have enjoyed myself more.

Speaking of Disney, today DisAd13 is exactly one year away! I was thinking of watching a Disney film a month to get myself in training. Who's with me on this?

And from the jumping the gun school of speechification, I have three incoming freshmen wanting to sign up for the speech database. That's a new one on me. Usually it takes three or four years for them just to get email addresses. Maybe it really is the 21st Century.

No comments: