Monday, August 13, 2012

Debate: In which familial aspersions are cast

Over the weekend the trouble-and-strife suggested that my blog was often longwinded and pedantic. To which I looked at her askance, wondering if she had just noticed this. It is curious that I make my DJ living in the business of cutting and simplifying, but when I put pen to paper myself, so to speak, I never think twice about quantity. It’s not that I don’t edit these pieces a little bit, but honestly, I just write them, read them, fix them when something doesn’t make sense, and post them. Anything beyond that would be inhibiting. I can write pretty polished if I want to, but the blog is more thoughts and ideas and general annoyances than any attempt at perfect prose. Which is why Flaubert never blogged. That and, well, a couple of other reasons.

CP finally got the email function back into tabroom.com, so I was able to send out a blast to the collected MHL membership about the workshop on the 29th. I’m using the same template for the agenda from 2010. 2011, you may remember, was the crazy collection of weekends where there were more Jewish holidays than ever before, and even Monticello had to move to new digs away from its traditional Columbus Day home. Things calm down this year, although the first-timers’ will precede rather than follow Fairly Largish Bronx, causing all sorts of confusion on the local front. We’ll cope.

I feel as if we’re really in business for the season, as today I put in the request for September buses. We’ll need one for the Speecho-Americans going to Yale, plus I’m hopeful of having a teeming multitude heading for the workshop, so there you are. I am at the edge of my seat waiting for the topic to be released Wednesday. Both of my Pups PFers say they will be coming over that night for a burger and a minimal brainstorm; that should get them started, anyhow.

Now see? That was neither pedantic nor longwinded. I can do it if I want to. I just seldom want to.

No comments: