Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Little Elvis and the Frabjous Day

.

So I was able to install Virtual PC easily enough, but the installation of the Windows software required an awful lot of gnashing of teeth. There's this great moment where the instructions tell you that something is going to happen, and if you don't hit any key real fast, you have to start all over again. More to the point, some of the instructions tell you this; there are different instructions in the box, online, and in the application help. You picks your horse, you takes your chances. Anyhow, I eventually successfully installed the XP software from my Dell disk and entered the 2034-character product code eleventy times and kept getting told by the computer voice at Microsoft that I was up the creek without a paddle and who did I think I was, installing this bogus software, and it would give me an i.d. code when hell freezes over. I did this a number of times, including the good old start over. And last night, believe it or not, with the clock ticking away before every Microsoft program I own explodes into oblivion, the officials at Evil Central finally admitted that I was entitled to run the software I had paid them for.

Thanks, folks. Any wonder why I really don't intend to bother with Word?

The thing is, now I can run TRPC on the Mac. Either version. The Mac TRM software is so old (you need to run it in Classic mode) and undernourished (it likes to crash, it allows you to enter 300 speaker points instead of 30, things like that) that it's just not an option. But running Classic TRPC on Little Elvis seems like heaven. I'll run a test at the Bronx MHL (i.e., run it on two machines at once—very NASA). If that's a go, it'll be hog heaven for Menick and Little Elvis from that point on.

No comments: