Monday, August 26, 2013

When you're a Utilitarian, you're a Utilitarian all the way, from your first pleasure calculus till your last dying day of the common good

CP is texting me his opinions of A Theory of Justice: The Musical from Edinburgh. As a rule he is no musical fan, but I guess Dancing Kants can turn anyone into a Broadway baby. Or maybe not. I’m looking forward to being locked up with him for three days at El Bronxo Grande with my iPod set to stun. Let’s see. Where to start? Annie Part 2? If that doesn’t send him screaming down Jerome Avenue, nothing will.

Meanwhile, I think I need to start from scratch on another tournament in his tabroom tabbing software. I have a sense of what’s what now, so I’m curious to put it together. As he rightly states, I need to get out of the TRPC mental mode, insofar as this doesn’t replicate that, but it’s a different way of achieving the same ends. That’s always a problem with new software replacing old software, that you want it to do the same things the same way, but if that were the case, then there wouldn’t be any benefits to the new software. I’ll keep plugging away at it.

If any more evidence for the season getting started was needed, I got the notice today about the New York Forensic League finals, up in some town I’ve never heard of this coming April. That’s the one we send our Speecho-Americans to, that they work toward qualifying for all season. Maybe they’ll send me a postcard. In any case, I need to pay our dues. I’ll do that real soon now. I’ve also got to pay the NDCA. And pare down our hotel rooms at Yale, now that our numbers are set. Ah, yes. Back into the swing of things.

I asked the Pups to send out a blast to get people off the schneid on entering their judges. Granted the thing is a month away, and there’s still a lot of hemming and hawing, but if not now, when? I can’t really sell out any hireds yet, because we don’t know where we stand overall. (Plus we need more hireds; if you’re interested, get in touch.) And then there’s the whole juggling of V and JV. I can see already that there are souls in each that ought to be in the other, but I don’t want to do that yet until I see how we add up. It does have to be done by pref time, though, of course. We’ve got a few weeks, then.

Monticello should open later this week. When it does, I’ll do a blast pushing it and Academy. Fingers crossed. I’ve already made my motel reservation at what we like to think of as the good hotel in town, i.e., the Best Western. Yee-ha!

No comments: