Wednesday, August 28, 2013

And the calendar just keeps on coming

Monticello registration went live today. I sent out a message to the MHL folk, who are pretty much the audience for the event, urging them to show up and underlining that it was Academy. Then I signed up myself, one LDer and one Pfffft team. As I’ve been saying, the season is kicking in.

The Pfffters came over to the chez last night, and we talked about Sept-Oct. We all pretty much agree that the whole unilateral aspect really bites the tail of this one, and that if it wasn’t for that, it would be fine. You can watch the international debate over Syria unfold if you want to see how to place your links on either side for proliferation prevention. US/UK does this, UN does that, Russia and China do this, yadda yadda yadda. Add your own impacts, and there you are. Of course, it’s the impacts that matter. The impact of unilateral action? Oh…

The Vassar tournament also opened registration today. The Vassar Classic, they’re calling it. Web 11’s relevant definition is “a traditional event.” It’s never happened before, and nonetheless, it’s traditional. Makes you want to look up “O’C” in the dictionary too. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all in for supporting the event, but as I think I explained here last year (before it was Sandy-ed), it has to find its meaning on the calendar. That’s one of the things we’re doing with Monti, defining it as Academy to cement its appeal as a tournament for younger students who aren’t likely to thrive at Bronxilla, with the bonus of educational modules. Some of us will show up at any tournament, simply because it otherwise wouldn’t be a weekend. But most teams aren't so crazy. O’C and the People’s Champion, etc., have their work cut out for them establishing a new one. I hope they can do it, of course. I mean, they’ve got me tabbing. How bad can it be?

No comments: