Monday, August 12, 2013

Glimmers of the new season

I’ve spent a lot of time lately beating up the new tabroom software. A lot of it is just learning where the pulleys and levers are located, other parts are finding things I wish worked some other way. The software is still WIP, so some things don’t work as they should, but it’s getting there. I’ve been sending a stream of emails to CP in the process, but now he’s off to Ireland and its various neighbors, first to tab and then to vacate, so there will be a hiatus on the testing for a while. Too bad, because it’s kept me busy as we wait on the brink for the season to kick in. Resolutions are released Thursday. It’s about time.

We’re going to open the MHL/NYSCDA/NYCUDL (Everybody Wants to Get Into the Act) Workshop this week, also on Thursday. Of course, nobody really knows who’s coming or going at this early point, but it does get people into the groove of thinking about it. Plus it will allow me to send an update message on the MHL in general, and the various openings for hosting and the like. January is sooooo weird this coming season, with Newark on what I guess you can call the Christmas Vacation penumbral weekend, and everything going kind of weird from there. The problem is, as I think I mentioned, the Superduper Bowl, which is at the Meadowlands this year, those swamps just over in Jersey a little down from Manhattan. That’s probably going to be one cold football game, it being February and all. Oh, well. I’ll watch it from the comfort of home, as I always do. And I’ll curse the NFL (the football one) for coopting one of our weekends. Then again, we’ll probably throw an MHL into there just this once, so there is some silver lining this particular black cloud.

Not much else going on in the debate world, just a lot of pacing the floor. O’C claims that he’s ordered his Notorious B.I.G. Bronx trophies; I thought O’C was living with the trophy guy, so I was sort of surprised that this was a special occasion. Seeing this reminded me that I’ll shortly have to do likewise for Bump. I usually do it around Labor Day or maybe the week before. Gets it out of the way. And as you can see according to the countdown, we’re at the point where, if all had gone according to plan, we’d be doing DisAd13. Oh, well. I’m already meditating over DisAd14. It’s never too early.

No comments: