Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Not quite leaving on a jet plane yet

Zeroing in on the DisAd14. I’ve tinkered a bit with the countdown, so it now points to 11:00 a.m. of the arrival date. Just about exactly a year from now. As I write this, there’s 366 plus days: just around the corner, in other words. I’ve gotten a couple of attendees on the official app that controls your dining and FP+ reservations and whatnot. I’ll put off packing for a little while, though.

RJT sent over the raw Kaiser invite, and I Academy-ized it and set it up on tabroom.com. Registration will open on 8/28. I’ll be sending out notices then to all and sundry to sign up for this sucker. You want a tournament for your younger kids where they’ll have a chance and they’ll learn something, this is it.

I may or may not run the new software for some of it. I’ve set it up for it, but a lot depends on how polished it is by then, and more to the point, how well I know it if I have to do goofy stuff that’s a little off the books (deep bracket breaking, for instance, in small fields). At smaller tournaments, goofy stuff is rife. Big tournaments pair pretty easily because there’s enough data to go around, so something like Pups or Jake is time consuming because there’s a lot of ballots to enter, but other than that, there’s not much to go haywire, especially nowadays when I’ve gotten quite a few MJP tournaments under my belt. Granted that TRPC doesn’t find a judge for everyone (the flighting throws it off), but it’s pretty close, and my system for doing the rest is fast and efficient. And if there’s enough judges to sink a battleship, like at Jake, you don’t really want for 1-1s, and maybe a couple of 2-2s between the offlanders in the later rounds.

And, of course, there’s the issue of connectivity. Tabroom.com needs an internet connection on the backend, and works at its best when there’s internet for everyone. That’s been one of my worries since day one, that internet access isn’t as global as we would like it to be, even in tab rooms. This is a problem that will eventually be solved by the world in general, but until that point…

Anyhow, I continue to test away. They’ve made some changes today, and when I get a chance tonight I’ll dive back in and do some more pairings and hacking around. The only way you learn new software is to use it until you don’t have to think about it anymore. I don’t have to think about TRPC anymore, which is why I don’t mind using it, but it has an awful lot of limitations. Something with a lot of unlimitations would be really nice to replace it.

No comments: