Friday, October 26, 2007

As the weekend looms, we ponder the universe and other possible vacation spots

Bump is simmering. One school dropped, I’m waiting for the next waitlist school to step up (is anyone from BC reading this, as I haven’t heard back from JS). Judges are now in overflow mode, and O’C’s posting brought in overflow on the overflow. Magic number is 48, i.e. single-flighted doubles. Looks likely, and then some. Still no rooms, but I figure the lawn is large enough. Peanuts is on his way to Manchester-Under-the-Sea and still no lists. Election Day is the week prior to Bump, which means no Tuesday meeting. I’m thinking maybe no meetings, period, to allow me time to polish up everything. Or maybe just the odd chez. I don’t know yet.

I wake up in the middle of the night almost all the time, and lately I’ve been working out the plot of an SF novel. Actually, more like an SF movie. I have no idea if it will hold up to make it to the page.

Last night I did the CFL inputting, the mindless copy and paste process I’ve worked out. Our illustrious CFL president has the spelling skills of [insert humorous metaphor here for someone with poor spelling skills], which means my automated system picks up his Nighingales and Domincans, and I’m thinking maybe we should just go with Nightengalz and Dominicanz and Regz and Bronx. Well, we already do go with Bronx. Anyhow, spelling ability is a born talent that is no longer necessary in the checker age. My literary god, Mr. Clemens, claimed to be a notoriously bad speller, but I do feel that his writing is pretty good nonetheless. Then again, his wife read the manuscripts and helped correct them, and then there were proofreaders and whatnot. Go back to your Founders, on the other hand, and read their letters, and a bad time is had by all. Not only could TJ, my Founder god, not spell words correctly, he couldn’t spell them consistently incorrectly. Very annoying. Catholic Charlie, who is none of my gods but who does qualify at least as a mythic hero, is at least in good company.

Poker (the meatballs are in the fridge) tonight, MHL tomorrow, rerecording Nostrum and planning out the cur on Sunday: a full and rich weekend, I’d say. I do want to talk to Catholic C about tabroom.com for CFLs, at least for the debate side of things. Keeps everyone honest (always an issue with these religious organizations); they’ve got to enter the right numbers in a timely way, or the computer sends them to eternal damnation. All I can do is send them into temporary tarnation, which is just not the same thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you joined Facebook.