Monday, October 29, 2007

A prize with no possible takers; "96 Tears" and other Hogwartsiana; Bump officially relocated

I now officially have more Facebook friends than I know what to do with. I’m beginning to see the potential of such a community, but have yet to see its practice. The first person to give me something useful on this gets a crappy prize.

The CFL All Hallows Eve(nt) at Hogwarts went swimmingly. While PF remains something of a stretch in these parts, LD was 96 strong in the novice division alone. The number 96 stays in my mind because when I paired round two, there was a message saying that 96 teams remained unscheduled.

I turned it off and tried again. 96 teams remained stubbornly unscheduled.

At that point, we tried everything (after O’C took a picture of the computer screen, just to have a record of this magic moment). But the setup was correct, everything was right. O’C, a master of Visual Basic (for that matter, a master of everything with the initials VB), suggested pairing this random round as high-low, knowing that, since there was no high-low data to pair from, it would come out random. He was correct. It worked, and a sigh of relief was breathed by the assembled brain trust. I advise all and sundry to put that into their memory banks against the moment it happens to you. 96 teams remain unscheduled. And this was C-TRPC. Jeesh!

Catholic Charlie, meanwhile, claims that he can spell, but I don’t believe him. We did discuss possibly migrating CFL debate divisions to tabroom. If CP is reading this, it will cut out the middleman. Create another league (NYCFL)? Julie S also claimed to have read this blog. I suggested that this was hazardous to her mental health, and she seemed to agree.

JV and I did a parent training session in the middle of Hogwarts, and I was quite impressed by us, considering that we were doing it impromptu. Then again, maybe it’s because we could also do it in our sleep. We hire out for weddings and bar mitzvahs, if you’re interested in some unusual entertainment for that special event.

Finally, Bump is all tweaks at this point. Add this one, drop that one, etc. I sent out some info to the school district PR guy extolling our virtues, including our can of soup. Wednesday night it locks down (the tournament, not the soup), and pdfs will be sent out. A few creeps have teamed up teams have crept up off the waitlist, and if I knew the number of rooms, others might join them, but I’ve effectively given up and decided that the entire event will take place at Peanuts’ house, given that he is the Hardware Engineer plus his mother is running housing. Might as well combine the two, I think.

1 comment:

bietz said...

96 tears is on my "driving" playlist on my ipod