Monday, October 08, 2007

Notes from the Jon Cruz Sucks Memorial

There is an enormous difference between a tournament like Yale and a tournament like Monticello, beyond simple numbers. Of course, simple numbers have their effect, and the Pups were more than twice the volume of the Kiester, but the whole attitude of the event is different. At Pups, there’s a sizeable number of people who are apparently there under duress, while everyone at the Kiester is at least aware of why they’re there, and why they’re in the judge pool more than just occasionally. Of course, I always wonder what people do at a tournament if they’re not either judging or tabbing or debating. I mean, how interesting can it be to sit in the judges’ lounge (if there is one) for two or three days, counting the gravy stains on the ceiling? Granted, actually doing something at a tournament can be tiring, and who doesn’t prefer an occasional round off to fulltime judging, which has been known to make some people’s brains fall out, but if you want more rounds off, bring more judges. The larger the judge pool, the more likelihood you’ll get a break now and then. I strongly encouraged the Keisterfolk that next year they should do a 1-3 ratio. 1-4 is so, I don’t know, 90s. It works mathematically, but so does Fermat’s last theorem (proof of which will be provided on request). That doesn’t mean we want to use it to inform all our actions (especially if we lisp, which gives the word Pythagorean a certain extra poignancy).

So the Kiester went off like clockwork. E-TRPC gave me room problems, and flighting problems, but mostly did the job. As I said, I only used it because, if nothing else, it does handle PF. Which, by the way, was a curious event. There were 8 teams, so I set it up that everyone would debate everyone else once. Judges were brought in from LD, the cafeteria cleanup staff, and Attica prison, as necessary. And after everyone had debated everyone else, all the Pffffters were milling about at the ballot table, waiting for the next round. Who were they expecting to compete against? I can’t imagine. Did they want to just do the whole thing all over again? In any case, they got plenty of soft-partition polish to prepare themselves for the upcoming Big Jake, where I would imagine the pool will be slightly larger. As for LD, once again I think the tournament provided more than 4 good TOC candidates beyond those who did pick up quals, and strong panels to sort them out in the bid round (et alia), which is exactly what a semis tournament needs to do.

There was some socializing, of course. I got to meet the new coach of Manchester-Under-the-Sea, who is younger than most of my socks, which seems to be true of many coaches these days. Got to meet the Potomac guy, who is, mirabile dictu, slightly older than any of my socks. Got up-to-date registrations from the New Jersey sundries for Bump, which gets us awfully close to shutting down. Schmoozed with Kurt about MHL issues. Hung out a bit with Joe V and O’C, which is always a high point of any event. Saw RJT, which is the best reason anyone could have to visit Monticello regularly. Had nice post-event dinner with the Sailors, including the winner of the Spirit of Debate award, about which more in the future.

So, overall, a good tournament. Yesterday I solved all my chez tech problems, including recording, so I sent a new Nostrum into posterity. Planned out Bump assignments. Updated the team list and sent it to the housing and succor doyennes. Updated the cur a bit, but I’m only halfway into a justice unit, which I need to complete by next week. I also went out and bought groceries, took a nap, watched a movie (nothing worth mentioning but enjoyable enough) and realized that the cold that had plagued me mercilessly on Friday had all be disappeared, no doubt thanks to the balmy Monticello climate (it was 110 gloomily humid degrees everywhere, unlike the usual snow up there this time of year).

And so we bid a fond farewell to beautiful Monticello (until a couple of weeks from now, when we’re back for an MHL). Thenceforth, it’s onward, to Big Jake.

No comments: