Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Theology; more theology; Sailorology; novicology; Palmerology

It’s beginning to look as if O’C actually is the Supreme Being. This might be a problem for people who want to strike him from various judge pools. All I can say is, watch your step.

This morning I listened to most of Bietz’s first podcast (no way I’ll ever have a chance to listen while it happens) and I found it invaluable. I also found it heartening that they were saying about Sept-Oct what I’ve been trying to say to the Sailors since day one. Maybe the Tars will believe Duby if they don’t believe me. And that’s a scarier thought than O’C as Supreme Being. Ohmigod! What if Duby is the Supreme Being? Ohmiduby!!! Anyhow, the idea that people are talking about a resolution at length, without bias, from an objective perspective, is fantastic. Especially when they’re Mike and Sam. Certainly one or two of these per topic would be great. What else? Well, there was some theory debate discussion, and I found that interesting too, because it’s a subject about which I am curious, if only from a distance. What Houston said was clear and meaningful, and not the sort of nutty stuff you see from a distance on WTF. I’m not saying I’m going to start buying theory arguments in rounds, but insofar as theory arguments are implicit in framework analyses in many rounds, I’m not so far off from agreeing with what was being said. Anyhow, I assigned the podcast to the Tars for their edification. Good work, MB & co.!

Last night we divvied up omnia Hud into three parts. First we talked case-writing with the Plebes. Then tutti of the fruttis showed up and we talked, first, about Sept-Oct arguments, and second, deep background on Nov-Dec. I want to look carefully at the NFL topic materials, but these seemed solid at first blush, at least insofar as they provided some source articles I can distribute. This is the sort of thing the Rippers ought to be doing. Maybe we’ll start getting our 99 bucks worth out of them.

My guess is that I’m down to 4 ½ novices, but I could be wrong about this. That’s a manageable number, although I would have preferred more. The thing is, I scare them away early. There’s nothing wrong with this, because otherwise they’d be scared away later. And I like a small, compact team. Still, I also like big numbers, because I think forensics has so much to offer people of all stripes and polka dots. Oh, well. What I really want is a small big team with nothing but serious casual members. Some day…

CP sent out a list of process improvements to tabroom.com following the Pups, including absolutely nothing relevant to LD. Another Speecho-American slight against the world of debate! I smart from the pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You still use a 2002 edition of a Visual Basic PC program to run LD tournaments. I shudder to think how I even could program something relevant...