Monday, July 02, 2012

Tap 2

Jason Samuels Smith was cited in the Sunday Times this week, and in the picture he sort of reminded me of Glover, so I thought I'd take a look at his work. I found this:



Okay. Frighteningly good. And what was this Stockholm Tap thing all about? I found some more:





Okay, this next one is only tap in the broadest sense, but it's fun.



The history of tap very much includes challenge dancing. Here's the pros comparing (foot) notes:



The history of tap? I mean, you watch all of the above, and with the exception of the Charleston, it's as modern as today's jazz (with which tap has always been inextricably linked). Always? Here's three greats of the past, having at each other, including a little trash talk on the streets to get into the mood.



If you start searching for these folks on YouTube, and you have any fondness for dance, you may never return.

No comments: