Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Debate blog: On site design and cheap stuff

The new banner was Kt’s doing. She got the dinosaur from DeviantArt (I put a credit to the artist down below, and since I’m not making any money off of this, unfortunately neither will he) and the cat from a company that will remain nameless. I had used a p.d. cat myself, but so it goes. It does look livelier than what I had before, no question about that.

I also jiggered the right hand column a bit. Since at the moment, the Twitter feed is only a broadcast of the blog posts, it’s sort of silly to keep it up high. Maybe someday I’ll get more into Twitter for other stuff, but it won’t be in the foreseeable future. I realize that some people breathe Twitter, but I am not one of them. I’m becoming fonder of it, though, as a place to watch to see what’s going on in the world. I’m always the first to know who died. What more could I ask for?

As a side note, I guess we do need to TVFT the final four resolutions. Maybe next week. I’ll try to enthuse the troops.

I think my greatest accomplishment this week was getting O’C to buy a Lego Millennium Falcon at a serious discount. 254 bazillion pieces, if I'm not mistaken. I get these notices from Amazon all the time, so it was nice to pass it along to a willing sucker customer. What I also get a lot of (and I will admit I do like Twitter for this) is notices that mp3 albums are temporarily dirt cheap. It’s getting to the point where as often as not, I’m never paying more than $5, but more often than not I’m only paying $2. For full albums. Given the type of music I like, I never have bought into the idea that albums consist of a good song or two and a lot of filler. That may be the case for pop artists (with the warning that they may not even have the good song or two) but not for jazz or shows and the like. Or most serious rock artists, the ones who work at it. You may end up liking some songs more than others, but that doesn’t render the lesser liked songs as unwarranted additions to an album. Take the Beatles, for instance. Even the songs that you don’t like as much, you still like. (Except maybe for Revolution 9, which no one has ever liked since the dawn of time except for John and Yoko, and you’ve got to wonder if John was just jiving us.) Parties interested in cheap Amazon music should sign up for their newsletters; you’ll generate a little mail, but it will pay off soon enough.
.

No comments: