Monday, July 30, 2012

Arts: The life of music

I’m in Starbucks and they’re playing “Sit Down I Think I Love You” by Buffalo Springfield, from a California groups of the 60s compilation album. That song was released in 1966. If I had been in Starbucks in 1966 listening to a song similarly old, that song would have been released in 1922. Possibilities? “Toot Toot Tootsie,” “Sheik of Araby” and “Give Me My Mammy.” Would the Starbucks of 1966 have been selling a record of hits of the 20s?

Just wondering.

And this isn't "Sit Down," but all these years later, who's counting? Remarkably good video, and not lip-synched! You can tell why Steve Stills might have been a Monkee, and Neil Young doesn't look a tenth as cranky as he does nowadays.



And here's Al Jolson, a few years after 1922 (he had to wait until the talkies, in order to capture that incredible whistle solo).







No comments: