Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Debate blog: Late July is starting to look like early August

CP’s visit to NYC this weekend is turning into a mini-DisAd. We’ll have JV for the day, and most of O’C. Too bad there isn’t a gate-opening ceremony, where the Mayor comes out and greets everybody and then Mickey arrives on the #1 train and there’s a rope drop and we all go running to Space Mountain or wherever. We should at least go into the Disney Store for practice. I have to admit that I am already stoked for DisAd13 (the real DisAd), even though it’s 13 months away. I’ve been tinkering with the calendar, trying to balance things. By the time we actually start signing up, we should have a pretty good idea what it is we’re signing up for. Which is more than you can say about most things in life.

I’m still rather frightened by the new tabroom.com. It says, unconvincingly, “We may look ready,” but I have to say, ready is like what it doesn’t look. The black-on-black login took me forever to find, and I still can’t find Yale 2012. Of course, I will have CP captive over the weekend, so my fears should either be alleviated. Or justified. We'll see.

Speaking of Yale, I still only have one Speecho-American signed up. Maybe it’s time to fold the tent. Maybe Brx Sci is hiring. I could work for O’C. Or better yet, Gazzola. I could carry his luggage or something. Of course, I do know that my debaters are offline at the moment; I just hope they actually do come back. Sailor S-As, on the other hand, are notoriously scatterbrained about things like signing up for stuff. Oh, well. Maybe they’re offline too, but then again, how would you know?

I realize as August looms just a week away that, for all practical purposes, the season is about to begin for me in earnest. It is in August that I polish up the Bump invite, and I will have no choice but to get back to working on my PF curriculum, which I abandoned by at the end of last season; one’s momentum does run out every year, even though it does always kick in again the next year. Provided that I do get debaters signed up for the Pups, we’ll have to start brainstorming as soon as the topic is released. If they’re not going, we have a little reprieve until October is released. I’m also hoping to host a little alum get-together before everyone drifts back to school, and that will also have to be about topic-release time. I look forward to that, of course. My goal is to make macaroni and cheese that the Panivore will actually eat. A worthy enterprise indeed, although perhaps one doomed to failure. Oh, well. I can always carry Gazzola’s luggage.

1 comment:

Palmer said...

Yale was deleted b/c it was created too early and died in the DB conversion.

You found the login button (it's right where the old one was...) and it annoyed you. I'd say that works as promised.

See you tomorrow.