Monday, August 27, 2007

Today, remarkably, is August 27. Summer, we hardly knew ye.

All right. I didn’t get all that much accomplished over the weekend. But I got the worst of it behind me, viz., the Bump invitation. That sucker is about ready to go. I’ll read it over one last time, but then it’s out to the world. I’ve decided to open registration on 9/15. On the back end, I need to take a look at the registration spreadsheets, but they’re usually just ported and marginally updated from year to year. I do have to start thinking about assigning the Sailors’ jobs, since most of the upperclass will be judging novice LD. With luck, the Speecho-Americans, such as they are, will rush into the void. Runner!

I also managed to punch up a few of my website pages, nipping here, tucking there. Nothing major, but one does want to look competent when the new batches of Plebes show up in a couple of weeks. I took a brief look at the Cur and saw that it’s a mess, but it’s a usable mess, so I can probably kick off with what’s there. The material is fine, except some of it is inked in rather than fully and neatly typed, but since half the time I just extemp anyhow based roughly on the agenda, that’s probably good enough.

I did pick up another firewire disk Friday for traveling purposes. I ported over the system software, in case of disaster. It also has Civ IV, which I fired up last night. I ended up spending endless time watching the tutorial, but it did get me back into focus on the game. I haven’t played since version 2, so I did have some catching up to do. I also copied RCT 3 on there, since there’s plenty of room, but who knows when I’ll get back to it. Fortunately all this game thinking prevented me from buying a Wii when I saw one at the local electronics warehouse. Live and in person. I had previously thought they were mere myths. Who knew. But I kept my wallet in my pocket. Since I was also fondling the Canon SD 850, maybe it was the confusion of moneys to spend that kept me in complete control of my funds. Nice camera… But not yet. I had toyed with the idea of an SLR, but after taking pictures with my tiny Minolta up in New England I remembered why I had moved away from SLRs in the first place: unless you have a couple of sherpas along for the trip, who needs it? My plan is to pass my present camera to the wife to replace hers, which is ailing. Very convenient. Then again, the kid is, if I’m not mistaken, down one camera. She could always be the backup on this. Hmmmm. One way or another, that wallet is no doubt going to be coming out of the pocket.

Sept-Oct chez tomorrow: the troops are armed and marching. PF the following night. We’re getting there.

No comments: