Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Surf's up!

Spurred on no doubt by my intriguing descriptions of New Haven and its wonders, the Sailors have come through with the required second driver/chaperone in the form of Mrs. LPW. She’s got sand, as they say (they being characters in novels set in the Old West), and I admire her for it. We can now take our full contingent up to beard the Pups in their den.

Meanwhile the whole issue of scaring up judges, either student or parent, has got me thinking that this is a mug’s job extraordinaire. I probably spend more time agonizing over this than any other non-Bump aspect of the activity. In other words, it’s a mug’s job, and to date, I’ve been the mug. Well, as the VCA well knows, I am not one to suffer for long. So, after about a mere decade or so of quiet (and not-so-quiet) frustration, I have decided that some other mug should do this job. And needless to say, it is of more concern to the Sailors that they have judges than to me, as I pretty much get to go to whatever tournament I want to, while they must adjust to the vicissitudes of their elders. So it makes sense that the Sailors, or a Sailor, he entrusted with this important responsibility. So I’ve decided to enlarge the incredibly important job of Hen Hud’s Hardware Engineer to include Wetware, both parental and varsity. In the past, the Hardware Engineer’s main job has been signing up for meeting rooms, but henceforth the job will include wrangling judges. For that reason, the name of the position will henceforth be the Engineer/Wrangler, or EW. (It is only coincidental that the poor person appointed to this position will, indeed, make the sound “Ew!” on learning of his or her fate.)

I have not yet decided who the lucky new EW will be. For that matter, I have not yet decided who the new Novice Coordinator(s) will be. I’m beginning to get the distinct impression, given the signups so far for Yale and especially Monti, that either all of my incoming sophomores and seniors are in Guatemala with Robbie stewing guinea pigs and therefore completely incommunicado, or else I’m down to 4 incoming sophomores and a small assortment of juniors. Harrumph, as they say (they being characters in novels set in the Old East). For those who are following the scorecard, we are also presently lacking a team captain, a situation which we will correct with an election in December. So, as you can see, we are Sailors on a stormy sea. It won’t be until a few more weeks that we discover where we are, and what to do about it.

Man the lifeboats, you scabbies!

No comments: