Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sept-Oct and Sept Pffft; Jake is jake; RG is stewing rodents; fewer pups with each iteration.

Busy day today, so I’ll just make the odd comment on the debate life, which officially begins today for the 2007-8 season with the release of the first fall topics.

I like the LD resolution for novices, but I don’t think I’ll push to use it at Bump. My thinking now is one topic for both divisions for this year, since there’s so much new stuff this year that I want to keep variables down to a minimum. Still, in the literal months of Sept-Oct, this topic will be a good one for newbies to learn some elementary use of evidence, the meaning of justice and of a just society, and some basic morality. Overall, Sept-Oct rezzes have not been terrible lately. I can only recall one (and I can’t even recall exactly which one) that was absolutely impossible. The rest have all been workable one way or another. I still hold a fondness for the Modest Novice, however. Maybe some day… I’m reserving judgment on the Pffft rez, however. It’s a little legal and not the most pressing issue of the day, except when you invert it into Rupert Murdoch, which will be okay, and obviously intended, but it will be a bit of a juggle in the individual rounds getting from the courts to Fox News.

O’C reports that he’s about filled to overflowing at Big Jake. This is a good thing, at least for me in tab. It’s much easier to run a big tournament than a little tournament. It’s the small tournaments with a handful of schools that make for the nightmares.

I get the impression from the Crank’s Twittering that the family has sent Robbie down to Guatemala. I can’t imagine why, although I do know that the locals consider guinea pig to be quite the delicacy, so maybe he’s there for the food. Whatever. I do hope he’ll be returning to Chicken Hud next month, and that they haven’t sent him down there permanently. I’d miss the guy (especially since he’s a dead ringer for Linguini in Ratatouille).

All things considered, I’ve dropped the number of people I’m bringing to Yale to 3, for reasons that will be clear when they’re announced. That’ll leave 5 Sailors behind on that fateful Friday, their noses pressed against the Detention Room windows, watching us drive away into Pup Land. Oh, the humanity!

No comments: