Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Rights and privileges

I really get a kick out of writing on the blackboard. You say something, then you write it down. So I'll say "Social Contract" and write down "Social Contract." What a blast! Of course, writing it down means that it must be more important than the stuff I didn't write down, so anyone taking notes will write it down on their notepad: "Social Contract." The communication circle is complete. Cue the sun.

Last night was Rights 101. Novices came from far and wide: we're down to 10, including the two who didn't show up. They seem still not to be reading this blog, which means we can make fun of them for a little while longer. Remarkably, I think I know who they all are, by name. That's unbelievable for me. Usually it takes years. I'm still not sure who Ewok is, after all. I mean, I know who Ewok is, but I have no idea what his real name is. Maybe that's all for the best.

While we were discussing John Locke, the Board was being bombarded by the remaining forensicians making their plea to travel to Manhattan. Early reports from Ewok (whoever he is) and Harrison were positive, and it looks like we're in the clear. Thank goodness. Missing out on Manhattan venues would have been one incredibly negative hit to the team on all counts.

After the meeting I entered the Bronx contestants (AKA the Craven One Hundred) into the software. It's a great field. Too bad TRPC doesn't allow parimutuel betting; maybe the next version. I've also gotten some MHL entries, but not a lot. I'm assuming that Monticello will have the odd few, and maybe one or two city schools might come up with some, but so far it's us, Bronx (482 names so far) and Scarsdale. Should be interesting. Policy is even thinner on the ground. I don't know what more I can do; I've sent out at least an umpty-ump of invitations...

One last thing on the voting issue. Since voting is the only thing that separates cits from non-cits, arguing about voting is simply arguing whether there should be any inherent distinction between cits and non-cits, period. And if that's not an idiotic arena for debate, I don't know what is.

I can't wait to get pissed off about how people are ruining the next topic!

No comments: