Thursday, October 13, 2005

Quiet Nights

That's a headline for you Jobim fans. I once met this young Brazilian woman, sort of half punk, half goth, who was also a big Jobim fan. Apparently when he was about 180 years old he married some young cookie, and the woman I met wished it had been her.

Quiet nights of quiet stars...

My quiet night was spent entering judges and strikes for The Craven One Hundred. In a word, there are a couple of really vilified characters out there whom everyone wants to strike, often with a bludgeon. Some of these people are so notorious, not only are the LDers striking them, but also the Policians, the Pfffters and the Declamation folk over at the CFL tournament on Staten Island. It will be interesting to see what the computer does with them. Will it sit them out, or will the poor schmegeggies who struck someone else get stuck with them every time? We'll see. At least if no one wants you to judge at TOCs you get to relax and go to Starbucks and read the Sunday Times. That's what I always do!

And of course there are also quiet stars in my eyes over the doings at Apple. I've been meditating on getting a desktop, and those new G5s look awful purty. One probably should wait till the switch to Intel, but still... Then again, where am I supposedly getting the money for all this equipment? I can look at the video iPod with admiration but not lust, on the other hand. But I like Jobs's strategy: build a great iPod that doesn't depend on the video part, and if the video works, you're there, and if it doesn't, you haven't really lost anything. I can't say I've always wanted to pay two bucks to watch Desperate Housewives on a 2.5 inch screen on any given Monday morning, but I'm sure there will be more content shortly, and to some extent what we're creating here is just a miniature player to hook up to your 50-inch monitor in some not too distant future.

I do love technology!

No comments: