Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Future judges safe from Rocking Chair Killer

The Rocking Chair Killer failed to show for the judge meeting last night, so there were no casualties. It was mostly me rambling on (as if I ever ramble) and touching various issues, using MJ's neotraditionalist memo as a starting point. Much of that is relevant only to college judges, but it was still pretty useful. Anyhow, now at least that group can go forth and conquer.

Persuant to yesterday's discussion, here's today's challenge: find the rules about voting in the Constitution. (Hint: this is a trick question, but if you're really good, you will find one of the few references to the fact that you must be a citizen to vote, as compared to all other rights which are simply applied—or not—without references to citizenship. This is why parent judges are important; they're not half as dumb as the Ivy League college kids who think voting rights should be given willy nilly to tourists the minute they get off the red eye to Vegas, or that we should legitimatly be arguing that issue.)

We probably will have to do a Pffft session for November, especially if Little Lex is Pfffting. (I'll find out from LC this weekend.) We've definitely got nascent pfffters on the team.

Speaking of the forthcoming weekend, O'C seems to be busy getting nervous. There's about a hundred or so people registered, and I figure we've now got a list of the most craven debaters in the country, i.e., all those people who don't want Cruz to drop them in the foreseeable future. We'll be doing 4 blocks; the way I figure this, it's potentially removing 16 judges from any double-flighted round, but he's got enough overage that we should be fine. I told him I could handle it, but if it doesn't work out, I'll just blame him. Apparently he's got Soddy and JW both coming. If he can get Soddy to yell at us to close the door, O'C's work here will be done. I started entering the data last night (into the good software, of course), and I should have it all done by tomorrow night (tonight I'll be at the school) so we can begin entering the changes. For some reason, the earlier in the season, the more changes. By the time we get to Bump, things have lightened up a bit.

Speaking of which, it seems as if the PMI is open after all. Burlington got rooms, and they said that renovations won't begin till next year. Good news for this year, anyhow. A few teams have already registered for the tournament. Poor O'C wanted to be first but came in a poor third. You've got to move fast around here. I think he figured I really hadn't opened registration until I sent out the invite messages Sunday. I mean, it's just me saving emails into a Bump folder. Or it's brain surgery. One of the two. And, oh yeah, BenT's mom has volunteered to do the meals! I sleep soundly now. The trophies have been ordered. What else is there to do? I'll have to get busy getting nervous.

No comments: