Wednesday, April 07, 2010

She sparkles... How pleasant. / She twinkles... How nice.

So last night’s Sailorfest was, shall we say, sparsely attended. The Great White Hunter, this novice who has debated exactly once because of all his prior engagements shooting poor defenseless animals, showed up for a few minutes, but otherwise it was just the admiralty: the Panivore, SuperSquirrel and the People’s Champion (who thinks he ought to hand out the People’s Champion Awards at Lakeland). We are so into next year as the Great Rebuilding. We’ve already got our recruiting pamphlet, most of which is fairly true and accurate (feel free to adapt it for your own team, but please use photos of your own damned kids: just because ours are better looking doesn’t mean you can claim them, except for one or two, names provided on request). Otherwise, except maybe for the odd chez, plus of course Lakeland and the Chetan-a-Go-Go, we can kiss 2009-10 goodbye.

Anyhow, last night I made the mistake of starting a dialogue about Nostrum; I should have learned from Jules’s experience last week. What I screwed up was letting go of a few facts of where the story was going. The thing is, Jules and the Mite send me the material well in advance, so I’m about two months ahead of the rest of the world in the direction of the narrative. The whole vampire thing was met with great apprehension by the assembled (not quite) multitude, but I assured them that no one sparkled. Sparkled? I knew there was a reason I studiously avoided the Twilight stuff. Vampires do not sparkle. They are the dead, animated by stealing life from the living. They have sought and found immortality, but at a tragic cost to their victims and, occasionally, themselves. I am confident that Jules and the Mite will not create nice preppy vampires. That seems entirely counter to the whole vampire ethos, at least as far as I know it. I have to admit that, aside from a couple of tab rooms I’ve been in, my experience of the living dead is fairly slight. We also discussed some other upcoming content, and I realized that the old business truism holds: if you know something others don’t know, it’s usually better to keep it to yourself. The three captains (active and emeritus) dissected stuff right and left and made suggestions as if I could do anything about it. At least my own team realizes the obvious, that Jules and the Mite do what they want to do, and I am just peripheral to the process. In any case, in the future I’ll keep my knowledge to myself, because knowledge is the one thing that, when you share it, you lose nothing, but when you don’t share it, you get to be all smug and smarmy about it.

We also dickered a bit about the content of this blog, over which I do exercise a modicum of control. There was a general sense of WTF over Monday's posting on government obligations (which has a great comment by PJ, btw, if you haven't seen it). The thing is, occasionally I use my head for something other than a hat rack, as me mayther used to say. You might want to try doing likewise. All this thinking, by the way, explains the state of my hairline: as me mayther also used to say, grass doesn't grow on a busy street. This may dissuade you. In either case, I like to mix things up a bit. One day it's notes from the tab room, the next day it's comments on a resolution, the next day it's what the Panivore had for lunch (right the first time!), the next day it's general social analysis. Get used to it. It's all a part of membership in the VCA.

Jules is probably coming down to Lakeland, by the way. He did say he’d let me know for sure Friday morning, but that I should probably put him into the LD pool. We’ll see. I have to admit that I am looking forward to this weekend. O’C plans to be in full emcee mode for the challenge format, modeling himself on the legendary Robert Q. Lewis, at least as far as the glasses are concerned. This is a picture of RQL and Betty Clooney, Rosie’s sister. What I’d like to see is RQL putting the specs on O’C. We could use that as a Cinderella pic substitute for the WDW trip.

And yes, I really will start blogging the WDW stuff shortly. Let’s tie off the loose ends of the season first, so we can savor every turgid moment of Debate Meets Mickey to the fullest.

No comments: