Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Inventory

I thought it might be a good idea to take inventory, it being the end of the year and all. I know that the VCA hates to miss anything.

Websites

Starting at jimmenick.com you get everything that I do, which includes the Hen Hud team material, the Metro-Hudson League (with how-to materials free for the taking), my schedule (including a regional calendar of all northeast events, plus), my podcasts and the Nostrum archive (which Jules is too lazy to port over to his own site).

Blogs

There is, of course, this blog, which is fairly central. Here is where I explain to you in depth what is wrong with you, with forensics, and, occasionally, with something else. Of course, in real life I am not the bilious person I appear to be here. In fact, I am something of a milquetoast. I prefer to tell you what I think of you here, where you can’t punch me, rather than in person.

Additionally there is the Coachean Feed Blog, where I write up various items I pick up off the internet that appear to be of value to forensicians. Since occasionally I tag an article without putting in into that blog, the best way to follow my Feed is here, or through your own RSS reader (I use Google Reader).

The TVFT blog announces new episodes of The View from Tab, and also includes some interesting discussion of our content from the outside world.

For work I run this blog on books and book-related stuff. Not a lot of entries, but what’s there is choice, if you happen to be a reader.

I also provide technical support to Jules and the Nostrumite on their blog; I was the one who recommended they use Blogspot, since I was using it up the Wazoo.

Podcasts

TVFT has morphed into me and Bietz and OC with lately CP and anyone else interested. Earlier episodes included deep background on LD subject areas, Great Debate Adventures (fiction barely disguised as nonfiction, or vice versa), the complete From Caveman to Frenchman lectures, some notes from various tabrooms, and maybe one or two other odds and ends. The webpage itemizes everything.

Additionally I narrate Nostrum, because Jules and the Mite are too lazy to do it, and if you think I suck at it, you should hear them.

Both these podcasts are available on iTunes.

Twitter

@jimmenick is mostly automatic cross feeds from the Coachean Feed (but not the complete set), plus my own random thoughts. This summer I will be tweeting from the great Disney Debate Adventure.

@debatetab is live when I’m running a complicated tournament, for purposes of group announcements.

@selecteditions is manual cross feeds from the DJ blog.

@nostrumnation is maintained by Jules and the Nostrumite, and has nothing to do with me whatsoever.

Tools

My favorite web time suck is my RSS reader, which collates hundreds of sites for me, organized by debate, entertainment, books, news, Disney, etc. I use Tweetie for Twitter, I’ve dabbled with Apple’s web iLife app but mostly I just cop other people’s code, and I’m a dedicated Mac user with the occasional drift into virtualization to run the PC-based TRPC software.

Et cetera

I seem to be moderator of something on lddebate.org, but I seldom look at it. I do have my own Facebook page, plus I seem to be part of some other pages like the TVFT page. I never look at the LinkedIn updates I get, but some people like this site for their DJs and I do connect if someone asks, but don’t come to me for a publishing job because, unfortunately, I don’t have any. I don’t follow threads on WTF (aka VBD) because the noise level is too high, but I do occasionally read and post if something particularly interests me, but mostly I feel that, with all of the above at my disposal, I need to post somewhere else like I need the proverbial hole in my head. I like to buy games but seldom play them more than once or twice; they seem like something I should do but I don’t seem to be able to find the time for them very often.

For entertainment I mostly just enjoy this.

And that, as they say, is that.

No comments: