Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What events would they be holding at the JBS, one wonders

So MW says in a comment that Via Con Me was in Welcome to Collinwood (a remake of an Italian film). That must be it: although I couldn’t watch Collinwood all the way through (it didn’t really grab me), I did watch it just a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that was enough for this bizarre sung to get under my skin. Listen to it and you’ll see what I mean. Presumably MW is Michael Walzer, in which case picking out a crappy reward prize won’t be easy…

We did have a little hoo-ha yesterday regarding the Monti MHL, which is on the same weekend as the Jersey Bridge tournament, which they’ve extended to two days. Realistically there’s not much conflict, because that MHL is always pretty small on the policy side, but it’s conflict enough. I’m sure it will all work out so that everyone’s happy, but this just goes to show that no amount of coordination is enough. The good news is that we are all connected these days, so issues can be resolved quickly. The Monti MHL will be what it always was, although this year we may ask someone else to order the pizzas.

I did a setup of Bump on tabroom.com, and worked out a couple of errors I had made, and things looked good. So, yesterday, I had O’C sign up his Scientologists, and lo and behold, it all does seem to work. It also seems as if three other schools attempted to sign up while the registration was temporarily open, even though I had renamed the tournament the Jean Baudrillard Simulacrum. Apparently some people will sign up for anything. Anyhow, it’s looking good to go for 10/1, opening day of real registration. And O’C is already registered, so I don’t have to worry about him staying up late on 9/30 to be the first one in. He can get a good night’s sleep so he’ll be able to teach all of Kant in class the following day.

Oh, yeah. I’m reading Moral Clarity, but I’m withholding judgment. So far it’s too much political critique; I don’t disagree with any of it, but I’m not getting enough out of it. I could be reading Anathem. Along those same lines, I wonder how many people really will pay to see Oliver Stone’s W. I saw the coming attractions this weekend. After 8 years, wouldn’t most of us pay not to have to think about this bozo again? Which reminds me of the joke about Bozo’s wife, and how after he died her second husband had some really big shoes to fill.

I’ll stop now. I’m off to a reboot of newbie night tonight. Pray for freshmen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pizza was not small daddy pizza toss' fault.

Anonymous said...

It was absolutely your fault, Small Daddy.

Anonymous said...

it wasnt :)