Friday, September 12, 2008

Lilliput's got nothing on us, baby!

(You know, these Weezer people, whoever they are, aren’t all that bad. I think I’ll keep them.)

So you need to understand the business world, and I offer you this. In my corner of the Day Job, there is a water cooler filled daily by Day Job Central, at no cost to the Day Job minions. If someone is feeling a mite parched, they can take a cup and fill it up and guzzle away. I’ve been known to do this myself in my decades of faithful service. I have also been known to use a nearby water fountain, which is thought of by some as one step above ladling slop out of the latrine, but what do I know. The water cooler is, apparently, filtered water. Filtered by what from what eludes me completely.

As anyone can readily see, this is not a tenable situation. (?) So certain of the Day Jobbers united a year or so ago to get a different water cooler, filled by Poland Springs with Poland Springs water. This group contributed their own funds, and posted the area surrounding the Poland Springs cooler with warning signs, barbed wire and landmines. Woe be to he who is not a subscriber who poaches Poland Springs water, which comes bubbling up from the earth as is and is not (bleeh!) filtered. This distinction was explained to me this morning in great detail. I was unable to keep a straight face.

Due to some layoffs, many of the Poland Springs cadre are no longer here to support bubbling up versus filtering, and new arrangements need to be made to accommodate the remaining bubbler-uppers. Meeting upon meeting has been taking place unbeknownst to me, with much venom and vigor. And the question was finally brought to my door. Would I pay for bubbling up, when filtering down was readily available for free?

What would you do? This is a decision that makes Sept-Oct look like a walk in the park.

No comments: