Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I want you, I need you, I love you

Why in the name of all that is holy do I think I need a Chumby?

But do I need another browser? I hate to admit it, but I do different things with Safari and Firefox, with different logins in different programs, and I can imagine a third browser allowing still more diversity. This isn’t so much multitasking as multihatwearing, with a couple of different debate identities plus a couple or two work identities, all more or less simultaneous. Whether the browser is actually different in any way is another story. I’m rather fond of Firefox 3, whereas 2 seemed nothing special. It works diametrically opposite to Safari whenever it can, which makes me wonder if Google is planning to triangulate somehow, since I guess you can’t have three diametric oppositions. (I guess I should point out that, to make things more interesting, when I’m working at home I use the two programs in the opposite fashion than I do at the Day Job, because the brain is pointed in different directions for obvious reasons. No wonder I can’t remember the names of my two cats.)

Speaking of hats, I need to send out an annual hi-ho message to the MHL mailing list. The streets of Sailorville were crawling with school buses this morning. On the first day or two, the parents do a lot of waving at their suddenly grown spawn and blowing kisses at the drivers for finally getting said spawn out from underfoot, but that slows down after the thing becomes routine. There are a few parents, however, who I’ve seen now every day for twenty years, still waving bye-bye and blowing kisses. Considering that the kid is going off to graduate studies at Cal Tech, you’d think they’d have gotten over it by now.

Anyhow, this being my own personal tech-blogging day, I heard tell of Dell’s entry in the subcompact sweepstakes this morning on the radio, and a $400 XP mini-me is yet another thing I think I need. I consider it a companion piece to the (as yet unseen) newly designed and (one is guessing) cheaper Touch that is another hunka hunka burnin’ love I think I need to possess.

I would point out that the icing on all of this shoplust is Meat Loaf’s Bat Out of Hell 3 album, which I also think I need for some reason. Of course first I’ve got to start listening to all the music by groups I didn’t know I had (who the hell is Weezer?) that I put on the MegaPod in my now almost finished restoration project.

What I’ll probably end up buying is a new golf cap. Then, either I will disprove my disbelief in a slippery slope and buy all those other things, or I will be pretty much satisfied that I’ve acquired enough new stuff for one year.

But I still think I need a Chumby.

No comments: