Thursday, March 06, 2008

"I didn't know Karl had brothers..."

Warning: I’ve gotten caught up yet again in the purpose of Art, but writing that will take forever. Cue Harpo; everyone out to the popcorn stand.

I recorded a Nostrum episode last night and discovered that the XML for the previous episode was loopy, so it would seem as if subscribers will be getting two episodes today. This is good or bad news, depending on your opinion of Nostrum. I could have spent last night working on the Goy, but until everyone is registered, there doesn’t seem to be much point to it. (And I’d like to thank everyone in the district for waiting till the last minute; you’re doing a great job of keeping me on my toes, you spalpeens!) On the other hand, I did prep up CFL Grands last night. As I was doing so, it occurred to me that we have a terribly onerous judge requirement. That is, 3 judges in each round may look nice on paper, but unless you have a certain nut number of teams, you end up getting repeat judges who may have dropped you (albeit on the opposite side) which doesn’t strike me as particularly promising. I’m going to watch how things work out Saturday (with about 24 entries) and see about suggesting next year that, if the field is less than or equal to 20, we only have 2 judges. I don’t think results would be all that different. The strongest debaters would still prosper. But the benefit of clean judging would have to be attractive. And getting home before the actual start of CatNats wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Saturday, as I say, we have 24 (or maybe its 26) LD teams, 20 Policy teams and, sigh, a mere 10 PF teams. Pairing PF would be impossible (or at least unlikely) if it weren’t for the LD judge runoff, which unfortunately is a one-way street. Oh, well. Tonight the powers that CFL are meeting for their annual we-did-it-again dinner down in Eastchester. The season really is beginning to wrap up. Catholic dinners, Caveman, lots of pictures of Tiger Woods in the newspapers. Spring is in the air.

1 comment:

Vineet Singal and Mindy Phung said...

love the title

-vineet