Thursday, March 13, 2008

Coachean Life Supplemental: Truth

Cabela's sporting goods catalogue offers archery equiment. The bows in here look like something from the Wookieepidia. But there's a pomo side to this worth noting.

The name of one of the bows is "The Truth 2." The description: "Last year, the engineers [designed] The Truth bow. This year, they just wanted to change a few things. The result: they changed everything."

That's the way with the truth, isn't it? You get it all figured out, and then they change it on you.

(By the way, you've got to love the other bow names: The Marquis, Black Ice, The Rock, Lights Out, Game Over. I'm especially fond of Game Over; obviously there's punsters in the deer-killing business. Not that I'm against killing deer, mind you, given that I'm happy to eat them when the occasion arises. But in my neighborhood, we don't need Lights Out to put out the lights of the local ungulates. The deer congregate in my yard like Scientologists at a movie studio, and you can walk right up to them and hit them over the head with a frying pan if you're so inclined. When I go out to the garage to my car in the morning I am fond of calling out, a la Disney's Bambi, "Man is in the driveway," but I barely get a rise out of the things. If you decide to visit the chez, feel free to bring your own frying pan along with you. And any venison recipes, if you have them.)

No comments: