Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The apotheosis of idle hands

The WTF undesign continues apace. O’C referred me to the front page, which now rotates like one of those signs at the mall, where for a minute you’re looking at some Steve Madden grotesquerie, then a poster for Hannah Montana pops up to replace it, then it’s Crate and Barrel, and a minute later it’s Steve Madden again. Except at WTF it’s debate stuff, sort of (Barack Obama’s race speech?), all under a banner of a black-and-white LD mug shot.

Okay, I tried it. It’s like the 2008 version of blinking gifs (reference: the Amazon gif to your right-yucckk!). I’m going back to the list of the archives. It’s either that or go to the mall for a Steve Madden fix. I guess I am cursed from my years as a systems manager. My own web stuff is about as boring as [fill in humorous boredom metaphor here] but I do get the job done. I fear that the WTFers have too much time on their hands, thus they have been lured into the devil’s workshop. Usage follows content, not form. Sigh…

Yesterday I was a moral critic, and today I’m a web design critic. And tomorrow? The universe awaits.

Last night in Caveman we made it from Plato to the Renaissance, although I will admit I was flagging as we emerged from the Dark Ages. We were in competition with a band concert in the auditorium down the hall, although I never really heard them tootling away. They did pull a couple of Sailors from our bailiwick to theirs, however. I think you can miss a little Caveman and still get the gist, but you can’t miss a lot. My estimate is that the whole thing will take two more installments. After that, I’ve been thinking of a final Bean Trivia blowout, and then, c’est tout. I still have the questions from the Lexington RR, which only Robbie has ever heard, and I doubt that he’s memorized them. If anything, his exposure to them will add to the strategy of the thing.

As I mentioned yesterday in a Facebook note, I’ve been playing with Remember the Milk. One of my problems is that I have no central calendaring system, mainly because my Day Job computer is deliberately disabled by our IT folk, who live in fear and trembling that we might discover any app starting with a lower case i on our machines (like iCal) and allow it to zap our precious bodily fluids (although any damned fool can tell you that unlimited internet access is the number one precious bodily fluid zapper in modern business). But rmilk allows me to connect almost everything, including my phone, so when I need to remember something, I don’t have to, which is really good in my case, because otherwise I wouldn’t remember anything. It remains to be seen if I’ll still be using it two months from now, but for the time being, it’s definitely getting the job done. It has forced me back to my iGoogle home page, which is better at RSS than my my.Yahoo page, for what that’s worth. I replaced a silly, cartoonish theme with a businesslike slick black theme, so maybe that will help me appreciate it more.

What a busy life. No devil's workshop here. [Snort.]

No comments: