Monday, June 04, 2007

Sister Emily visits once a year; my cocktails with O'C (action figures sold separately)

Emily J points out that I seem hung up on feminism. She’s right. By my estimate, roughly half the people I come in contact with are of the female persuasion, so if I have some question that they are being treated somewhat strangely because they are female, it strikes me as worth mentioning. Also, I am not alone in that business of running into females fairly often, making feminism a very easy way into the (philosophically?) popular area of Critical Theory. Since academic feminism is not all CT, especially if you start with, say, J. S. Mill, a student of the game can follow an entire literature from orthodoxy through all its schisms with some personal interest in the situation. There are also, of course, critical theories about race, gays, law, etc. I'm probably equally interested (or perplexed) in these areas, especially as they relate to debate (at least in this blog), and I have yapped on about all of them a little bit—a lot, if you count Caveman—but the feminist issues just seem to have come up more often lately. And since Sister Emily only seems to visit CL as an occasional avoidance therapy, that may explain why she thinks I'm obsessive.

I met with O'C on Friday for an update on everything that's been going on since my last event in March. One can never get enough gossip, needless to say, and much of what he said was substantial, and in some cases even true. I'm not quite sure if I prioritize veracity over quantity in acquiring the latest poop, but either way, it was a pleasant affair. We also discussed WDW at length, and I learned that his brain had been shaken loose by Mission: Space. Since, unlike O'C, on that particular ride I took the wimpo option with no spinning, my brain remained nicely fixed. Which may account for all the differences between O'C and myself. You be the judge.

The Seinfeld bracketology is from LPW. I'm not as up on Seinfeld as a lot of other people, so I'm trusting he's hit all the high points. (And don't you wish you had someone on your team nicknamed LPW?)

No comments: