Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I now consider looking at Apple.com ads some form of pastime

I’m beginning to wonder if the iPhone is The One. My interest in phones, as anyone who has ever tried to call me knows, borders on the negative, although I do sort of like texting as a perfectly reasonable way to transmit information without having to keep asking if the person on the other end can hear you. I’m always amazed at people who seem to live on their cell phones, given that whenever I use mine people sound really terrible. It’s not me, either. Cell phones aren’t the same as landlines, if for no other reason than that you can’t hear yourself, which is why most people shout at top volume: they’re not getting the feedback they’re used to (short of deafening the person at the other end, and everyone around them at their end), and the voice of the other party always sounds like it’s underwater, so they overcompensate. Add to this the ringtones that at least 23 states have admitted as legal defenses for justifiable homicide, and you don’t have a device that incites any technolust in me. But all the other things the iPhone can do look pretty good; I was just over at Apple looking at the ads. You just throw in the phone apps as an extra benefit, and you’ve got a pretty nice toy. But also an expensive one. And no one whose sanity was unquestioned ever bought the first version of anything, especially from Apple Corp. I would imagine though that the second generation point four will probably be the one to get. Lots more memory, all the kinks worked out, costing less than an arm, a leg and half your spleen. It’s been a while since I seriously wanted anything electronic (except for this lingering belief I have that if I had a Wii I’d finally get back into videogames). I’m not even planning on upgrading Little Elvis to Leopard, given my belief that upgrading to a new operating system, when the old one works, is only for people who don’t actually do anything on their computers and therefore won’t miss it when its gone, or miss the time lost trying to revive it. If you’re actually writing and creating and whatnot, and everything’s hunky-dory, challenging the status quo is a mug’s game. I mean, I wait to hear the all-clear from the pundits before even downloading version updates. Major updates (remember the early days of iTunes 7.0?) are disaster on a stick. Especially if you have to pay for them.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

The reference to the Apple ads justifies, imo, if you will, my sharing this. "PC guy is one of my best friends from school -- and as a little plug from him and his boys, check out his and some other friends new project, seattleuntimely.com. Funny. I swear.

Jeff said...

Don't think link showed up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM