Friday, June 29, 2007

How the LD resolutions work

I sent out my posting of yesterday to the Legion, to see if I could scare up some discussion from other coaches. As I said, I like the list overall, with a few exceptions that I feel are too vague. It will be interesting to see if my request generates any response.

Thanks to WTF, I discovered this morning that the NFL had posted its ballot to vote for the rezzes, so I was more on the money with yesterday’s posting than I had thought. The way the ballot works is you pick three different topics, in order of preference, for a given period, and you must fill in all three for each period, and use a minimum of five topics overall. You can repeat from period to period. This immediately becomes a matrix for imagining who will vote for what when, and how one works through/around it. The way I see it, the Sept/Oct rez is important insofar as its for newbies, and a good basic topic is what’s needed to ease people into the activity. Jan/Feb gets argued a lot, to put it mildly, so that should be very strong; I also feel it’s a good one for a lot of research, given its position in the year at large, and because it will be at TOC. Mar/Apr and the NatNats topics are, to me, less important, because fewer people debate them. Still, I think that in the new system there’s no point in picking the pure stinkers and putting them there in the hope of making them go away. Nov/Dec has importance as follow-up for newbies, but less personal importance for our varsity as Sailors don’t do much in that period because of Bump. It will be interesting to see how this all sorts out. For one thing, I can’t imagine that the best topic will automatically be the NatNat topic, as it used to be (or at least, the way the voting worked, that was previously simply the biggest vote-getter). I like the intent of this new approach, although I have no idea if it will work. Time will tell. The ballot is due 9/15, which is way earlier than usual, but that’s no doubt because of the fact that it is picking this year’s Nov/Dec.

So I have filled out my ballot, and it’s sitting on my desk. I’ll study it over the next few days until it looks right, and then I’ll send it in. Thus begins the next season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok so #4 got a vote and I like # 2 also