Saturday, August 19, 2006

New York State is a Red Light District

Oh, great. NFL has been kicking this around at us for a couple of years now, and this week I got a message from the Rip-snortin' Ripon telling us to defend ourselves or face ignominy.

Well, facing ignominy is the way I play the game, goldarnit!

It really boils down to a couple of things, as I told them in my reply (and the crack heads of our committee concurred). First, we are what we are, because in New York, with regents and graduation the same time as Finals, we're lucky anybody wants to go. Second, we offer a rich forensics experience absent the NFL (we've got CFL, MHL and invitationals every week), so there's no organizational gap to fill beyond the district qualifier. And third, mixing us in with, say, NYC, would create a super-district that would seem to be to no one's advantage. In other words, we're at the highest numbers we're ever going to have, more or less, and tinkering with it will result, no matter how you slice it, in smaller numbers of members, not just of qualifiers to Finals. So, we'll see what happens. (And I'd be happy to share my letter with any interested party: just ask.)

So where does that leave us? Well, Red Light Status with NFL, waiting to hear about changes from NYSFL (it's been a year now), and defeated and downhearted over Modest Novice. Then there's lingering questions I have about the Legion of Doom (which I'll air shortly), the redesign of WTF (which makes it a lot harder to complain about), and Termite is coming home soon (we were hoping that he'd move to California and become a surf bum). On the plusses, there's sanguinity over the Bullpups, a newly organized (soon) MHL with OC's hand in the wallet, Bump is almost ready to post, and I'm coming to terms with Sept-Oct. Oh, yeah, and the megaPod is in the mail (I'm ripping Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson even as I type this) and the wireless is rehooked up and there was enough room last night in the family room to watch the season finale of BL (with not one not two but three Star Treks represented-- I guess Wil was holding out for bigger bucks). Everything is, in other words, about as they always are.

No comments: