Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Filling of iPods

The displacement of Juan, Kwan and the stoners continues, far from ameliorated by drenching rainstorms, but at least I am able to ftp from the office, so I was able to post Nostrum 23, much to the relief of a waiting world.

Big Bronx seems to have filled up faster than [insert underpants joke here]. I realize that I have a small army in placeholder position, so I sent out the word on the listserver to either fish or get off the pot, to free up spaces so that OC can bring in the Guam team. Speaking of whom, I want to get him to stay at my hotel at Monticello. Last year it was too bleak to try for it, what with torrential rain (which seems to be the theme today), but I’d like to go over to the racetrack on Friday night and light my cigars with hundred dollar bills for a while. We all know that OC practically lives in Vegas; does he ever gamble there? Or does he spend all his time at Quark’s bar outside the ST ride? The time has come to find out.

Meanwhile, the ongoing dilemma: A big issue of filling an iPod is war horses versus the untried and untrue. Getting back to cast albums, does one put in Cabaret or Steel Pier? All Rodgers and Hammerstein or no Rodgers and Hammerstein? Or maybe just all soundtracks with Nathan Lane? Or all soundtracks without Nathan Lane? Rags? Ragtime? Jump? Bounce? The mental turmoil here is at the edge of Foucault, and only the Rocky Horrow Show (note, not Picture Show) is guaranteed a spot. How much Sinatra is enough (considering I have enough to [insert underpants joke here])? How much Feinstein? All Beatles? No Beatles? Only the Anthology collection? Any Zeppelin? Albums I’ve owned for a generation, or just new albums? And don’t even think about classical (so far all I’ve put on is a set of Yo Mama cello sonatas). Do we need D-I-V-O-R-C-E, or just some vague old-timey country, or only the Texas swing, and will that be modern or will that be Tex Wills? Rock Steve Earle or country Steve Earle? All Krall? Any Costello? All Beach Boys (I mean literally all) or just a couple of Brian’s solo albums? The soul-searching is incredible. FYI, I just inserted part 2 of Cook at Carnegie, Mostly Sondheim, to rip away. If you get a ton o’ Sondheim via Barbara Cook, Julie Wilson, Cleo Laine (personal favorite) and Bernadette Peters, do you need all the shows? (And if that wasn't a list of divas, I'm [insert underpants joke here].) Given their reception in various tab rooms I have been in, I would say that both a little Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and a little Monk go a long way with certain audiences, but on the other hand I would insist that one needs “Facing the Future” and all solo Monk one can find at the very least. How much surf music other than the Beach Boys? How much obscure blues? The entire set of “That’s Entertainment” including all three movies plus outtakes, and would that mean you have to throw in the Busby Berkely stuff? For that matter, which Hoagy Carmichael collection should I order up from iTunes?

My brain is, obviously, turning into Jello. This is the curse of technology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you see that Bob Dylan collection on the iTunes store? 773 tracks for $200? That'll fill the old iPod.