Monday, August 14, 2006

Atwitter, all quiet on the Western front, iWork, I print, the pomo song of the day

I guess all the LD world is atwitter over the release of the new topic tomorrow. And I guess I share the atwitterness, although obviously from a different perspective than the average debater. The problem with Sept-Oct is, of course, that it must be shared with the novices, who come on board weeks after everyone else has at least partially launched. Then they debate it maybe twice before going on, and yadda yadda yadda—all the reasons I was pushing the Modest Novice. Oh, the sadness of the lost opportunity. There is a small part of me that hopes Sept-Oct is the dog of all time, just so I can wallow in self-satisfaction, but then again, there will be novices on the pad, to be ignited and lifted off, and I hate to see them hamstrung (or, I guess to keep the analogy going, I hate to see their heating tiles burning off before they escape the atmosphere, but then again, that may be going just a tad too far).

Things seem awfully muted over at LOL these days. Given that they’re in the middle of camp, I expect much more camper-of-the-millisecond hi-mom eat-your-heart-out-because-we’re-here-and-you’re-not kind of stuff for which the site is so infamous, but I had heard hints that they might be toning things down a bit, and, thankfully, they have. Not that I’m accusing them of actually providing any content at the moment—they’re no more full of anything to say than I am—but at least they’re not pretending otherwise for a change. Granted, web rule number one is to keep content changing if you want visits, but then again, it has to be more than just a shuffling of the deck chairs.

I bought iWork with my gift certificate. I’ve been staring at it for a while, and now I had the perfect excuse. It’ll make for, I hope, more sophisticated word processing than old AppleWorks. I’ll let you know. I haven’t loaded it yet, because it was a fairly busy weekend at the chez with one thing or another (furniture assembly, poker, days away enjoying the summer). Tonight or tomorrow, depending on what else is going on, I’ll do it. Little Elvis is sitting there panting, his tongue hanging out, just waiting to get loaded up.

I also bought a cheap new printer, with a copying function. I’ve been looking for a while for something a little more portable than what I have, and throw in the ability to make copies, always desirable when one is camping in a tabroom, and I couldn’t resist. It’s an HP, so it’s not as if I went off on an off-brand bender or anything. I’ll have to test it thoroughly, of course, before throwing it into the fray, but I have no reason to expect anything other than that it will work admirably. You may come by at Yale and pat its little head, if you’re so inclined.

And if you’ve got nothing better to do than listen to a musical version of the old Baudleroo on Disneyland, you might wish to check out this link (Blogger doesn't see it when I post it directly as a link, go figure.)
http://mediamogul.seas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/Goldsmith/Theory/Kenneth-Goldsmith-Sings-Baudrillard.mp3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice use of yadda.

Anonymous said...

yes it was intentional :)

- bietz

Anonymous said...

I think we at the worlds fair again........no? By the by the answers always been yes.