Monday, August 28, 2006

Isn't it a lovely day to get caught in the rain?

Well, Little Elvis now has a hole where his hunka burnin’ love used to be. You have to put a shim underneath it to type, and you have to be online because otherwise the date needs to be reset every time you turn it on, and the whole thing is Sony’s fault, those rootkit-planting %$#@*&s! Apple says 4 to 6 weeks to ship a replacement. That’s a month or so of pure annoyance, on top of all the Juan, Kwan and the stoners annoyance. I’m thinking of this as Little Elvis’s “In the Ghetto” period.

Rain kept me home all weekend, mostly doing computish odds and ends like cleaning up my PC. I attempted to grab the music off the old GrandPod, but that was a mug’s game from the getgo. The files are there, and accessible, but so confusingly stored that it’s just not worth the time sorting them out. Figuring at most I’d lose about 5 un-backed-up songs, I decided the best thing to do was to spend the 99 cents per on iTunes and mark the exercise up as a total loss. Meanwhile, I was using the PC (GrandPod was PC-based, exclusively) and took the opportunity to clean that sucker up a bit. Its remarkably large 20-gig hard drive was, presumably, state of the art once upon a time, and I did manage through this and that to get it cleaned up to about one third free space. I do use it regularly enough during the year, so it’s nice that it’s clean again, or at least as clean as it will ever be. Amazing what a rainy day will do for you.

I also took advantage of the bleakness to upload tons of music to MegaPod, as I try to run down the battery to get it seasoned (I have read every article on iPod and computer batteries ever written, and at the moment I am expert, but I hope to forget it all soon and go back to normal living). I plowed through rock, began jazz/cabaret/world, and am still thinking about classical and showtunes. For instance, I had Sweeney Todd on GrandPod and never once played it. Which raises the question, What kind of music is best on an iPod? That is a spiritual question each person must answer in the privacy of the owner’s soul. I never once played Sweeney but I couldn’t get enough of ? and the Mysterians’ “96 Tears.” Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

I started a thread on truth in LD on the Legion’s new forum. I’ll report on that as it develops. They’re using some basic PHP thingie that doesn’t seem to show threads (?) which makes it a little less than what I would like to see, but I’ll keep sorting it out. The point of the thing is for coaches to discuss coachean issues, while others watch. We’ll see how that plays out. Sort of like the opposite of WTF, I guess.

I uploaded Part 1 of Part 5 of Caveman. Two more parts to record and edit, and I’m done. As I edit these, I realize that I talk like Captain Kirk, with unexpected… pauses where most… people would least expect… them. Shatner doesn’t talk like that on BL, thank... goodness. I guess now that I’m doing it he doesn’t... have to.

Tomorrow night is My Dinner with OC. And Kurt. Wednesday is another Bullpups’ topic meeting. Then it’s the last weekend of the summer. Hoo-ha!

No comments: